Black Mold & Mildew
So you’ve found some black mold on wallboards or black mold on base molding or on attic joists and plywood or on basement beams and walls or on crawl space joists or boxes, papers, books, or luggage stored in a damp place, under the sink, behind the toilet — STOP RIGHT HERE.
If you have already found a source of mold in your house, THEN:
- You don’t need a Mold Test Kit
- You don’t need a Black Mold Test Kit
- You don’t need a Toxic Mold Test Kit
- You don’t need a Black Mold Testing Consultant
- You don’t need a Black Mold Testing Laboratory
- You don’t need a Black Mold Lawyer
- You don’t need a Black Mold Insurance Adjuster — yet — or hopefully at all!
Don’t panic – get a grip on yourself!
“MOLD IS GOLD” – Black Mold scams, frauds and junk science!
It has been reported in the print media that some ambulance chasing lawyers and hucksters are looking at Toxic Black Mold Contamination as “BLACK MOLD GOLD” – i.e. “BIG MONEY”. Beware of black mold lawyers, and junk science mold testing and high-priced, black mold clean up hucksters.
Phony black mold toxic mold test kits, black mold toxic mold inspection frauds, black mold clean up gadgets and black mold remediation scams are proliferating faster than you can say “achoo”. There is a huckster-a-minute waiting to play on your fears and lighten your wallet. Become informed by reading this self help black mold and mildew information page and the toxic mold information pages. Then get yourself one of the inexpensive MoldCheck™ Clean-Up-Guides and Proof Kits and take charge of your problem.
THIS IS NOT YOUR MOTHER’S MOLD
The mold which grew on the walls of housing built 50 years ago is different than today. Fifty years ago houses had troweled-on-plaster walls, limited insulation and all tile bathrooms, bare wood floors, loosely fitting windows, no air conditioning and no house wraps — houses breathed and exchanged inside and outside air constantly.
If a window leaked into a wall, it also could dry out quickly and the inorganic plaster wall dried like a thin rock wall — “it breathed.”
Today’s extremely “tight” energy efficient homes hold moisture inside and when walls and carpeted floors get wet, they dry out very slowly — allowing mold contamination to get a foothold and spread. Today’s homes, schools and offices do not “breathe” – to the contrary they hold contaminants and moisture inside.
So, new building materials and tight buildings have given rise to a new group of molds growing indoors and staying trapped indoors at much higher concentrations than in years past.
There are many “new” “black molds”, which can be found in today’s housing, only a few of which have been proven to be toxic mold. However, if your indoor air is contaminated with a mixed soup of millions of mold spores from even non-toxic black mold and mildew contamination, you can still “feel sick as a cat with a belly full of hair balls” – i.e., miserable.
TAKE ACTION – ON BLACK MOLD OR ANY TYPE OF INDOOR MOLD CONTAMINATION – DON’T DELAY YOUR MOLD CLEAN UP. MAKE A SAFE MOLD CLEAN-UP PLAN – BLACK MOLD CLEAN-UP IS NOT “ROCKET SCIENCE”– BUT IT MUST BE DONE WITH METHODICAL SAFETY.
- The first thing to do is determine the extent of the black mold/mildew, or any mold growth using your eyes and a do-it-yourself kit such as the MoldCheck™ Kits.
- The second thing to do is to locate the source of water that is causing the moldy surface to be wet or damp. If it is not obvious, use the Mold and Moisture Investigation Guide™ in your MoldCheck™ Test Kit.
- The third thing to do is make up a safe black mold clean-up plan.